1. You probably must have had seen this photo many times before. But…let me tell you, a little bit about the porter.
2. His name is Abbie Intang, a Moslem Dusun from Kampong Pinosuk, Kundasang. When this photo was taken in 2005, he was 48. But this 600 liters water tank wasn’t the only thing he hustled to Laban Rata along the 6km Summit Trail. This blue empty water tank is only 33kg and it took him about 6 hours, starting 7.30am at Timpohon Gate and arriving Laban Rata about 1.30pm. There were heavier or bigger loads he ‘ported’ up the trail, before and after this.
3. Before this, he delivered a laundry dryer, a washing machine and a r efrigerator. After this water tank, he delivered 2 loaded cooking gas tanks with a total weight about 64 kg. On the same trip.
4. Two years ago, he delivered septic tanks to all the shelters including the shelter at Sayat Sayat at KM7.2. Imagine piggybacked a huge empty septic tank along the steep, rocky and treacherous rockface. It took him only 2 hours from Laban Rata to Sayat Sayat, delivering the 27kg septic tank.
5. The most heaviest load he had delivered was a car battery, about 80kg in weight. Imagine…carrying a man for about 6 hours along the 6km Summit Trail to Laban Rata. We can’t even carry our own backpacks.
Now…you know why he is called Badang Kinabalu.
via Rabani Ayub